Re: [Chicken-users] MacOS X build trouble

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] MacOS X build trouble
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 13:34:36 -0800

Thomas Christian Chust wrote:
By the way, as I already mentioned some months ago, the chicken-static
and csi-static executables produced by CMake builds on MacOS X are
always completely useless, because the are not statically linked against
libchicken.a as they should be but dynamically linked against
libchicken.dylib. This is due to the fact that CMake screws up the
linker flags -- if you want to link against a static library on MacOS X
and there exists a shared library of the same name, you have to specify
the full path to the static library file instead of using an -l flag;
otherwise the dynamic library is always preferred, even if it is
somewhere after the static one in the library search paths. I don't like
that behaviour of MacOS X, but that's the way it works. Unfortunately I
haven't found a way, yet, to convince CMake to actually behave correctly
here. Even when you specify the full library path in a
TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES command, CMake thinks it has to be clever and turn
that into a combination of -L and -l flags.

Have you
- raised this issue on the CMake mailing list?
- entered this issue into the CMake bug tracker?
-written a trivial reproducer for it, without Chicken?

I find the CMake guys are responsive to such issues, when such steps are taken. But I cannot personally solve CMake bugs. When I discover bugs I file reports about them, just like anyone else.

So maybe it would be good to
disable building of chicken-static and csi-static on MacOS X entirely?

We could, but I'd like a brain dump on what the CMake guys have said to you about the issue. Links to bug tracker entries or articles in the CMake mailing list archive would be good.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every