Re: [Chicken-users] Problem mapping to "unsigned char *"

From: Tony Sidaway
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Problem mapping to "unsigned char *"
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 14:20:30 +0000

On 2/26/07, John Cowan <address@hidden> wrote:

Actually, it's architecture dependent whether "char" is a synonym for
"signed char" or for "unsigned char".  Rather than complicating the
interface, I'd rather live with the gcc warning.

Yes, you would want to use c-string without a sign qualification if
the sign is to be decided by the compiler.  It's when the programmer
makes a choice (presumably because it matters at some semantic level
or other) that I'd suggest that the foreign interface should permit us
to follow that choice (just as it provides signed and unsigned
qualifications for scalars).

I don't mind living with it as long as people who build software from
my eggs don't mind living with the warnings from an otherwise clean
build.