Re : Re : Re : Re : Re : Re : [Chicken-users] Scheme (LISP) editing

From: minh thu
Subject: Re : Re : Re : Re : Re : Re : [Chicken-users] Scheme (LISP) editing
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 12:05:42 +0100

2007/3/4, minh thu <address@hidden>:
2007/3/3, Zbigniew <address@hidden>:
> There are about a billion ideas flying around and I've lost track of
> your overall intent.  If you want to develop a 3D program
> interactively you can just start it with csi or call (repl) and issue
> GL commands and debug interactively like normal.  For example it is
> easy to run the sdl-gears example and change the lighting
> interactively, just throw the animation loop in its own thread.  If
> you want to make a console in-game for some reason (e.g. you are on an
> embedded system) with full access to your environment, you could do it
> the same way, only modify Felix's repl code to do I/O to your console,
> or use a pseudo terminal to bridge the repl to the console instead.
> Of course on an embedded system, assuming your goal is not just to
> look pretty, you could just use a serial console and retain the full
> interactive development abilities of Emacs on your dev machine.

My intent is pretty close of what you say. I just want to provide a
simple repl directly inside the OpenGL window. I see mostly four
reasons to do this.
- csi + readline + thread is problematic (from my test, maybe I'm wrong).
  Although I say 'simple' some file saving/reading would be great.
  csi without readline is very poor to make real editing session.
- I've to switch from vim to emacs + quack + paredit. In a sense, I'm
switching
  to OpenGL programming with Chicken, that's enough for me for the moment.
  Having the repl in OpenGL is a practical, reusable block of code.
  It can serve in a real program, see autocad, or maya (mel language),
and so on.
- Once it's done, people have ideas to experiment with. That's what make you
  lost track :)
- I've forgot the fourth point, something like "it's fun" :)

Oh, this is my intent regarding the opengl repl. I also want to
provide other simple building blocks. Font system is one.
Camera/projections library is another one.

Editor stuff was just discussions, I'm not going to do it but I
believe once some building blocks are done, people will try to do
things...

> On the other hand if you are just aiming to write a GL-based terminal
> there are plenty of examples out there, and if you're aiming for the
> full Squeak monty, then, good luck :)

I don't know Squeak. I've heard about Morphs (for Smalltalk I think)
but that's all. I need to look at it.

Cheers,
thu

> On 3/3/07, minh thu <address@hidden> wrote:
> > By the way, I don't plane to write an IDE neither an editor. But I
> > plane to write a repl. Once it's done (plus some other basic stuff), I
> > thing every body interested could contribute/test/have fun with some
> > *implemented* ideas.

Hi folks,

This is a 'private' announce :)
Thanks to Felix, gl-display-glx and gl-font are in svn/chicken-eggs on galinha.
Also, I've added the "project" to the active projects page on the wiki.
I should have waited a bit, but Shawn (and others) showed interest, so...

Cheers,
thu