Re: [Chicken-users] how do i set interface for tcp client socket etc.

From: Hans Bulfone
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] how do i set interface for tcp client socket etc.
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 21:59:28 +0100

hi,

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 08:59:45AM +0100, minh thu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't think it makes sense : a host connect to another host through
> routing.
> It means it use the routing tables on the first host to determine the route.
> If you can reach the destination by multiple routes, it's the routing
> protocol to decide by which interface you will emit. If you want to
> use a sepecific interface, you have to change those routing tables.

i think there are some cases where it makes sense to specify a
source address.

e.g. when you have multiple addresses on the same interface and
want to use a specific one (for example if you have migrated
some services from another machine on the same lan and those
services need to connect to some backend behind a firewall and
you can't get those firewall admins to allow connections from
the primary ip of the host where the services have been migrated to :)

but i agree that most of the time it doesn't make sense to
request a specific source address for a connection.

nevertheless i think it should be supported by chicken.

bye,
hans.