Re: [Chicken-users] Rewriting Svnwiki in Java or PHP

From: minh thu
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Rewriting Svnwiki in Java or PHP
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 11:31:01 +0200

2007/4/1, Alejandro Forero Cuervo <address@hidden>:
I have been having some conversations with Nelson Castillo and other
Svnwiki users and contributors.  Some of us believe that by rewriting
Svnwiki entirely in another programming language the number of
contributions would increase significantly.  A lot of people would
like to contribute but they lack the programming skills required to
learn Scheme.

We are considering rewriting it in either Java or PHP.  I'm leaning
more towards Java but a very good case for PHP has been made by
Arhuaco.  We have also considered Python, Ruby and C#.

There are more details here:

    http://wiki.freaks-unidos.net//weblogs/azul/rewriting-svnwiki

It should be said that we haven't made up our minds yet.  The amount
of efforts to rewrite Svnwiki in another language shouldn't be
underestimated.  However, unless a good case is made for keeping it in
Scheme, chances are we will switch to another language.

Thoughts?

It's a sad news : every other project starter could say then : hey,
look, they turned their code to something else for lack of
contribution.

I guess it would not bring as many people than using Java but maybe
you can consider the following:
consider the time of a rewrite and consider the time to make the
extant code be well documented, maybe to some part, looking like a
(Scheme) tutorial.
People like Real World code.

About Ruby or Python, am I wrong by thinking that people who know Ruby
or Python are a good audience for that kind of document ? For example,
in programming.reddit, Haskell, Ruby, Scheme are well represented.

I mean that if you switch to Ruby (not Java), you will gain community
but the *kind* of programmer will be the same (i.e. functionnal or at
least not-main-stream languages lovers). So keeping Scheme might not
be so bad to attract them.

Thanks,
thu