Re: [Chicken-users] ARM compilation problems

From: Shawn Rutledge
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] ARM compilation problems
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 10:18:54 -0700

On 4/23/07, felix winkelmann <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi, Shawn!

What configuration options have you given? is this a static
build?

Default configuration; I just ran ./configure and only gave the
--prefix option to have it installed on the CF card.

Well somehow I got that version of OpenZaurus into a state where it
wouldn't boot anymore, and was having trouble opening the touchscreen
device anyway; so I re-installed an older OZ and went back to using
Debian for doing Chicken stuff.  And, I actually got 2.608 to compile.
I had tried to do it with 2.5 (?) a while back and it wouldn't
compile on Debian.

The linking step where it builds libchicken.a or something like that,
was taking a lot of memory so I needed to not run opie at the same
time.  It has 64 megs of RAM and no swap, which is just enough if I'm
not running anything else.

I may try again with the OZ GCC but I'm guessing this problem really
has something to do with relocation (having gcc or some library
installed in a non-standard location).  Maybe I should just copy my
whole rootfs to a directory on the CF card and use that as a chroot
environment, then install GCC over there where there is enough space
to do it.  Then at least I can be sure the libraries are all the same
versions as the OZ ones.

I'm hoping TCC will support the ARM some day (I know that project has
been started but doesn't quite work yet) and then I could use that for
Chicken.  Of course, the reason I want to use a native compiler is
that csc will be useable.