Re: [Chicken-users] parameter limit

From: Stephen Ramsay
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] parameter limit
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 09:01:04 -0500

On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 04:19:03PM -0400, Graham Fawcett wrote:
> On 5/4/07, Stephen Ramsay <address@hidden> wrote:
> >Is there some clever idiom that can get me around the 1000 argument
> >limit with libffi in this situation?  It's kind of a showstopper,
> >since I work with large XML files pretty regularly.
>
> Not an idiomatic fix (though there probably is one), but you can try
> increasing the 1000 limit. The file runtime.c contains the line:
>
>    if(n > 1000) barf(C_TOO_MANY_PARAMETERS_ERROR, "apply"); /* arbitrary */
> # endif
>
> Change 1000 to something bigger , then make ; make install ;
> cross-your-fingers. :-)

Perhaps I should have said, "an idiomatic or hackerly fix." ;)

That works like a charm, Graham (and good grief, the resulting program
is fast!).

I wonder, Felix, if it might be worthwhile to add a configuration
switch to chicken that lets you up the parameter limit.  I take it
that libffi doesn't care what that number is, as long as it's some
kind of number (we could add a note to say that the management is not
responsible for what might happen if you set that to one trillion ;)

Thanks again!

Steve

--
Stephen Ramsay