[Chicken-users] Re: eval and local variables

From: Chicken Monk
Subject: [Chicken-users] Re: eval and local variables
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 17:39:54 -0400

John Cowan wrote:

Chicken Monk scripsit:

The way I see it (and which is most likely incorrect :-): regular code has access to variables in the current and enclosing scopes, so the functionality is already there...

Yes and no.  In particular, in compiled code the compiler can notice
exactly which procedures have access to which variables, and only
pass the variables that are actually needed, either as additional
arguments or as a data structure or (in other Schemes) in registers.
If eval were allowed to access locally bound variables, such optimizations
would be impossible.

Ah, that explains it. I suspected it had something to do with the compiler. Thanks!

--
Chicken Monk
"God loves ya. And she loves me too."