Re: [Chicken-users] file-exists? on Windows

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] file-exists? on Windows
Date: 14 May 2007 13:48:24 -0300

Hi Kon,

Thanks for your answer.  Comments bellow.

On Mon, 14 May 2007 09:25:52 -0700 Kon Lovett <address@hidden> wrote:

> On May 11, 2007, at 12:18 PM, Mario Domenech Goulart wrote:
>
> > Sorry for the maybe stupid question: is the following expression
> > supposed to return #f on Windows?
> >
> >   (file-exists? ".\\")
> >
> > (file-exists? (current-directory)) returns the path to the current
> > directory.
> >
> > Under Unix[-like] systems, (file-exists? "./") returns the path to the
> > current directory.
>
> Version 2.614 - macosx-unix-gnu-ppc - [ libffi dload ptables
> extraslot applyhook ]
> (c)2000-2007 Felix L. Winkelmann
> #;1> (file-exists? "./")
> "./"
>
> The implementation (##sys#expand-home-path in library.scm) only
> expands a leading tilde, '~', or environment variable reference,
> '$FOO'. There isn't any special recognition of the current directory
> 'directory'.

My message was confusing.  I mean the path to the current directory
may be either relative or absolute, but not false (as it is on
Windows).

> > Shouldn't (file-exists? ".\\") return the path to the current
> > directory?
>
> Not according to the documentation. But this can be changed.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.  The documentation says:

,----[procedure] (file-exists? STRING)
| Returns STRING if a file with the given pathname exists, or #f
| otherwise.
`----

Isn't (file-exists? ".\\") supposed to return ".\\" on windows?

Best wishes,
Mario