Re: [Chicken-users] Mac OS X static library names

From: Brandon Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Mac OS X static library names
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 20:35:29 -0400

On 5/14/07, Peter Keller <address@hidden> wrote:

Dynamic libraries were created to solve upgradability and text size in the
VM problems. However, they do have some nasty edge cases. Truth be told,
you probably won't hit any of them unless you A) want multiple revisions
of a tool coeexisting on the same machine

Actually, I do think that's a worthwhile feature, especially on a Windows box with Cygwin, MinGW, and multiple versions of MSVC.  This is coming from the perspective of a build engineer.  :-)  I don't know how worthwhile it is to anyone else.  Myself, I just keep my shells and paths hermetically separated from one another.  That makes my builds reliable, but it's not an accurate reflection of the state of the average user's box.  I plan to add a task or enhancement ticket in the bug tracker about this someday, but right now, we don't even ship binaries.  So first things first, I added tickets about that.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every