Re: [Chicken-users] Mac OS X static library names

From: Brandon Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Mac OS X static library names
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 18:22:18 -0400

On 5/17/07, Kon Lovett <address@hidden> wrote:

Compiling a universal binary is an exercise in x-compiling. Chicken
cannot discover anything about the foreign platform, it must "know."
All cpu specific configuration must be done via command-line options
or a separate set of configuration headers.

I am not saying "discover" bad, "know" good. Just that in the case of
x-compiling "knowing" is the only way.

Right.  My point is, unless Automake "knows," it is no better than CMake at this.  And I suspect the current Autoconf build does not "know."

(BTW, Brandon I will get back to the CMake build on MacOS X PPC.
Sorry, I need get some bugs fixed in other code first.

The problem seems to be an issue w/ the extra-symbol-slot. Even
though I turned on this options w/ ccmake, & the resulting 'csi' says
it has 'extraslot', using an extension compiled w/ the autotools
generated Chicken yields the undefined variable '|????|', which I
think is an indication of an incompatible memory model.

If so, that would be a new ticket entirely.

I completely removed Chicken, got a fresh darcs, got a snapshot (for
the boot/cfiles, which are not in the darcs repo!),

boot/cfiles aren't supposed to be in the Darcs repo.  They are supposed to be generated from the Darcs repo.  Whose boot/cfiles would you use, canonically speaking?  They're always going to be different, their changelog would be voluminous noise.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every