[Chicken-users] Re: A Proposal for Texinfo Reference Manual

From: Ivan Raikov
Subject: [Chicken-users] Re: A Proposal for Texinfo Reference Manual
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 10:24:02 +0900

Hi Adhi,

   Given the current arrangement, I really think that maintaining a
separate Texinfo manual will take a lot of (redundant) effort. The
wiki is _not_ in HTML format, HTML is generated from the wiki internal
representation. There is already code to generate fairly decent LaTeX
code from the wiki, and some code to generate individual Texinfo
pages, so I don't think you need to be concerned about idiosyncrasies
and dirty hacks. Actually, the basic code that generates LaTeX and
Texinfo code is quite simple, the only thing that seems to be missing
from the latter (as far as I can tell) is a function to generate
Texinfo contents and node pointers.

   hen.el at least has mode documentation (C-h m); what kind of
additional documentation would you suggest? I do agree that it needs
to be at least mentioned in the manual. I would say that hen.el was a
lot more convenient back when you could look up a symbol in the
Chicken Texinfo manual from within a Hen buffer.

   How about this: I will try to generate an example Texinfo manual
from the wiki, using the existing wiki->texinfo code and the Emacs
Texinfo editor functions, and you can look at it and tell me what you
think about it.

      -Ivan