Re: [Chicken-users] syntax-case modules questions

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] syntax-case modules questions
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 13:22:12 +0200

"felix winkelmann" <address@hidden> writes:

> On 5/25/07, Graham Fawcett <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On 5/25/07, felix winkelmann <address@hidden> wrote:
>> > Modules to be "import"ed by client code should always be
>> > available in source code form: the source code is processed
>> > by the syntax-case macro expander and binding information
>> > (of normal variables and macros) is recorded. So to create
>> > an extension, install both the compiled .so and the source files.
>>
>> Conceivably, a different module-system could be designed that did this
>> processing at compilation time? Perhaps library source would need to
>> be available at application-compilation time, or perhaps the library
>> source could be distilled into an export-directive that contains the
>> details required by the importer (including syntax definitions)?
>
> I'm not quite sure what you mean here: the binding resolution while
> importing is already done at compile time (unless you are interpreting
> code, of course). Creating a condensed module definition from the source
> file might be possible, though, and would probably speed up compile
> times somewhat. On the other hand it might not really be worth the trouble.
>
> Ideally, we need a well hackable, understandable module system that
> supports syntax-rules and that is static enough to be used with batch
> compilation. I haven't found such a thing yet.

What about Scheme 48's module system? FWICT, it supports batch
compilation (there is a compiler for s48 packages at [0]). It's also
pretty nice otherwise; you can read about it on the CSW[1] or in the
"Nearly complete manual" [2].

[0] http://mumble.net/~campbell/darcs/s48-comfasl/
[1] http://community.schemewiki.org/?scheme48-module-system
[2] http://mumble.net/~campbell/s48-refman/html/Module-system.html#Module-system

Cheers, Rotty
--
Andreas Rottmann         | address@hidden      | address@hidden | address@hidden
http://rotty.uttx.net    | GnuPG Key: http://rotty.uttx.net/gpg.asc

Latein ist das humanoide Äquivalent zu Fortran.
   -- Alexander Bartolich in at.linux