Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken manual in Texinfo format

From: Adhi Hargo
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken manual in Texinfo format
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 16:57:17 -0700 (PDT)

--- Alejandro Forero Cuervo <address@hidden>
wrote:

> It's best to keep the authoritative version of the
> manual in wiki
> format instead of Texinfo.  I think this makes it
> easier for most to
> contribute to it.  I also think a Texinfo version
> should be generated
> from it.

I've just finished an automated conversion from wiki
to Texinfo (using Python) and I found out that the end
result still needs further manual editing: wiki tags
tend to be applied in a very non-uniform (and in minor
cases, sloppy) manner while Texinfo forces writer to
apply the right tag. in the long run, wiki->texi
conversion loses a lot more semantic information than
the other way around, so much so that wiki != quality
reference.

*But* I agree, that the main focus should be ease of
contribution.

-- Adhi

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.