Re: [Chicken-users] a file system using Chicken

From: Matthew Welland
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] a file system using Chicken
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 21:43:33 -0700

On Saturday 09 June 2007 08:29:40 pm Dan Muresan wrote:
> > errno.i:
> >         ./gen_errno.sh >errno.i || $(RM) -f errno.i
>
> Another dash/bash problem on Debian or Ubuntu. I used the "source"
> command to load a script in the current shell, and presumably this is
> not POSIX, so dash (the default /bin/sh since last year) refuses it.
> Does anyone know the POSIXly correct way?

I don't know the answer to that but you could set the SHELL variable inside
the Makefile to bash. Isn't it fairly safe to assume bash is ubiquitous?

> Anyway, fixed.
>
> > and made gen_errno.sh executable and now it builds for me. I'm now
> > having permission problems when running:
> >
> > ./start_duggfs.sh /tmp/duggfs
>
> By default, fuse doesn't let user A view content in a file system
> mounted by user B. Even when A is root. It's an interesting security
> problem: the fuse daemon (running as user B) would get to see data
> belonging to A, without A having agreed to permit that.

The problem was that I was not in the "fuse" group. Another debian/ubuntu
requirement. Now I can browse the duggfs - cool!

Remaining problem: all the files are owned by root with group root and some
are not world readable.

> There's an allow_other option:
>
> ./start_duggfs.sh /tmp/duggfs -o allow_other
>
> but it's only available if you enable user_allow_other in /etc/fuse.conf
> (a file which doesn't exist by default and the format of which is not
> documented as far as I know).

It is documented in the fuse README but the option user_allow_other
seems not to work.

> To summarize, you should use the same account to mount duggfs and to
> explore its contents.

address@hidden:/tmp/duggfs$ ls -l
total 0
drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 0 1969-12-31 17:00 config
drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 0 1969-12-31 17:00 stories
d--x--x--x 2 root root 0 1969-12-31 17:00 users
address@hidden:/tmp/duggfs$ cd users/
address@hidden:/tmp/duggfs/users$ ls
ls: .: Permission denied
address@hidden:/tmp/duggfs/users$

I'm not sure where to go from here. Still, fuse + chicken looks very
interesting. If you feel inspired a "hello world" level example would be
appreciated by those to whom your code is a bit beyond :-)

--
http://www.kiatoa.com, fight for a better world.