Re: [Chicken-users] Syntactic sugar for regular expressions and URIs

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Syntactic sugar for regular expressions and URIs
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 10:25:30 -0400

Arto Bendiken scripsit:

> First, the `regex-literals' egg [2] provides precompiled regular
> expression literals of the
> form `#/[a-z0-9]+/i', the Perl-like #/.../[ixu] syntax sure to be
> instantly familiar to most everyone:

If you support Perl-style trailing letters, then you should be sure
to support "m" and "s" also.

> Next, the `uri-literals' egg [3] allows facile use of URIs delimited
> by '<' and '>', a natural form already familiar from URL use in
> plain-text media:

I find this troubling, because although <...> are associated with URIs,
"#<...> has been associated for many years in the Lisp community
with non-rereadable syntax such as the "#<regex>" in your examples.
(Common Lisp actually makes this the default; "#<" signals an error.)
URL.  I think you should find some alternative syntax.

--
It was impossible to inveigle           John Cowan <address@hidden>
Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan