Re: [Chicken-users] Request for comments on the SQLite3 egg API

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Request for comments on the SQLite3 egg API
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 00:16:52 -0400

Thomas Christian Chust scripsit:

>   1. Introduce a new separate singleton type for SQL NULL values and
>      refrain from using booleans altogether, because there is no SQL
>      boolean type in SQLite3.

I favor a variant of this:  introduce a singleton type for SQL NULL
values, and map #t and #f inbound to 1 and 0 respectively (but not
outbound, of course).  Ideally, the singleton type would be the same
in all SQL eggs rather than SQLite-specific: one could use the symbol
sql:null or even the empty list, which some people already pronounce
"nil".

>   2. Keep the data extraction routines returning #f to represent NULL
>      but add an arbitrary default specialization of sqlite3:bind! on
>      booleans that represents #f as NULL and #t as 1.

This has absolutely no virtues in my mind except backward compatibility.
It's extremely unnatural.

--
While staying with the Asonu, I met a man from      John Cowan
the Candensian plane, which is very much like       address@hidden