Re: [Chicken-users] preferred gui library

From: Brandon Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] preferred gui library
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 14:51:58 -0400

On 7/4/07, Alex Queiroz <address@hidden> wrote:

+ Lightweight and *just* a GUI;

     Although the API is very small, the egg is far from finished
though, so probably this is not what you want. Otherwise, feel free to
ask more.

Felix was intoning "lightweight" back when we had that GUI discussion.
As I said then, the problem with that approach is, everyone wants
different versions of "lightweight."  So by the time you get done
pleasing everybody, which is what needs to happen for projects to
become standardized, stable, well supported, and widely adopted, it's
not lightweight anymore.  At best it's middleweight and more typically
it becomes heavyweight.

Consequently, I suggested you guys pick the One True GUI [TM] that's
already out there and stick with it.  Because you're going to end up
reinventing such a thing yourselves anyways.

Alternately, you guys could just each individually code up your own
personalized "lightweight" stuff.  Heck, I'm doing that with my 3D
engine right now, because I'm working on a laptop with 8MB of VRAM and
even if I wanted to bother to learn someone else's 3D engine, they
don't do a particularly good job of handling such a low resource 3D
card.

"Lightweight" can be a valid design choice.  I'm just pointing out the
strategic consequences of fixating on that.  I mean, let's face it,
people intoned all those ideas and desires some months ago and nothing
has come of it.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every