Re: [Chicken-users] preferred gui library

From: Alex Queiroz
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] preferred gui library
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 16:25:22 -0300

Hallo,

On 7/4/07, Brandon Van Every <address@hidden> wrote:
On 7/4/07, Alex Queiroz <address@hidden> wrote:

> + Lightweight and *just* a GUI;
>
>      Although the API is very small, the egg is far from finished
> though, so probably this is not what you want. Otherwise, feel free to
> ask more.

Felix was intoning "lightweight" back when we had that GUI discussion.
 As I said then, the problem with that approach is, everyone wants
different versions of "lightweight."  So by the time you get done
pleasing everybody, which is what needs to happen for projects to
become standardized, stable, well supported, and widely adopted, it's
not lightweight anymore.  At best it's middleweight and more typically
it becomes heavyweight.

    The problem is the "pleasing everybody" part. I've read that GUI
thread and realised that a consensus was not achieved by the Elder
Ones. My need for a GUI is urgent (I almost switched to PLT). So,
instead of jumping into that endless discussion, I started hacking my
own egg, which primarily address my needs. The IUP API is so small I
had a working egg in a couple of days, and since I need just a few
widgets besides an OpenGL canvas, it's perfect for me.
    The project started with a selfish goal but, if anyone finds IUP,
within its limitations, useful, I have nothing against sharing code
and joining efforts.

-alex
http://www.ventonegro.org/