Re: [Chicken-users] Suggestion for new egg: Wings!

From: Alaric Snell-Pym
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Suggestion for new egg: Wings!
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 18:40:56 +0100

On 6 Jul 2007, at 4:07 am, Mario Domenech Goulart wrote:

If I understand correctly, this is somewhat similar to a sort of url
dispatcher once I implemented (without type declarations) but never
bothered to use:
http://schemers.ucpel.tche.br/mario/url-dispatcher.html (code at
http://schemers.ucpel.tche.br/mario/url-dispatcher.scm).

Yeah! I looked at that with interest when it came up on IRC. It comes
at it from a different angle, though, registering handler functions
rather than having Spiffy choose files from the filesystem and look
up handlers for them.

I can imagine it being useful for more RPC-like services - one should
be able to write a spiffy handler that uses your mechanism. The file
might contain a bunch of define-callable-url forms, with the register-
dispatcher being implicit; any request that goes to that file has its
next path component treated as a callable-url method name, and the
rest treated as arguments. It'd do its own argument processing rather
than using the wings one - which is fine, because wings won't force
it on you where it's not wanted ;-)

Such a handler would basically make it easy to set up REST APIs for
your web apps.

Reading that has reminded me of something I forgot about: I should
add support for defining a 'rest' argument in the positional
arguments, which gets a list of all the remaining path info components.

Why's http:find-resource need hacking? I vaguely remember some other
mention of path info not being reported well in spiffy - ah yes, in
the source of the cgi egg. Is there some fundamental thing we need to
fix to allow pathinfo handling?

Best wishes,
Mario

ABS