Re: [Chicken-users] Realtime / Multi-embedding

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Realtime / Multi-embedding
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 08:01:20 +0200

> I'm working on a project where:
>   (1) I need the gc to be as close to real time as possible
>   (2) I would like to have multiple instances of embedeed scheme
> interpreters (not being able to directly effect each other).
>
> What is the easiest way / best approximation / is this even possible? in
> Chicken Scheme to achieve the above?

I don't think chicken's gc will approach anything but a very soft definition
of "real-time". As Graham pointed out, running it explicitly as often as
possible might help. Another important thing is to run with a fixed heap,
as heap-resizing takes a lot of time.

Chicken does also not support multiple execution "contexts", for compiled code
you'll have to use multiple processes for that. If you are explicitly asking for
independent *evaluation* environments - that can be handled, in a single
chicken process by using multiple threads and/or evaluation environments.

Can you provide some more information?