Re: [Chicken-users] Eggology

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Eggology
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 23:53:24 +0200

On 8/23/07, Sunnan <address@hidden> wrote:
> felix winkelmann wrote:
> > I agree with Benedikt that dependencies should be kept at a minimum.
> > It starts with simple sharing of code but quickly everything ends up in
> > a tangle of dependencies that no one can comprehend.
> What's the alternative? Should "tool" implement its own args
> documentation? Should array-lib implement its own miscmacros?

It should drop the args-doc dependency, even if that means a
reduction of functionality. Keeping things simple, comprehensible
and self contained (at least as much as possible) and use small,
well defined, building blocks.

> Syntax-case is low-level, srfi-42 and miscmacros are control
> structures... This is part of what lisp is to me; layers upon layers of
> code.

Right, this is also why all Lisp systems end up in large entangled
blobs that no one can build reproducibly, and which can not be
cross/target compiled (ASDF my foot, I say!), or even compiled from
sources.

> Of course, I'm not saying that dependencies are an end in itself; I'm
> just wondering if you or Benedikt have an alternative suggestion.

Personally, I have no other suggestion but to keep things simple.
But that's just a personal point of view, and can be considered
as handwaving...