Re: [Chicken-users] Eggology

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Eggology
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 18:18:28 -0400

felix winkelmann scripsit:

> Why not just keep things as they are?

Well, because "Does anyone mind if I make backward incompatible changes
to the API of this egg?" doesn't really scale well.

I have a very simple and easy proposal, purely social, no need for
technical changes:

If you need to make backward-incompatible changes to the API of an egg,
make a new egg with a new name related to the old.  Then persuade people
to change over to the new egg.  When you decide to pull support for the
old egg, announce that in advance and pull it when you are good and ready.

It doesn't do anything about code that accidentally depends on bugs in
an egg.  For that I have another simple suggestion: pull in an instance
of the egg and incorporate it into your own egg.

--
John Cowan  address@hidden  http://ccil.org/~cowan
The competent programmer is fully aware of the strictly limited size of his own