Re: [Chicken-users] build on Windows with MS compiler

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] build on Windows with MS compiler
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 14:35:28 +0200

On 9/17/07, Shawn Rutledge <address@hidden> wrote:
> I just tried it.  With chicken-2.637, cmake can still generate the
> vcproj files if I remove the stuff about chicken.info from
> CMakeLists.txt; but it generates a couple warnings.  I was
> disappointed that it did not generate a makefile for nmake, only the
> vcproj files.  I opened ALL_BUILD.vcproj with Visual Studio 2005 and
> tried to build; it was not successful.
>
> With 2.709 CMakeLists.txt is gone completely.  If I use the old one,
> it will not proceed because the boot directory is missing.
>
> I don't suppose anybody has ever tried to write an nmake makefile by hand?

MSVC is not supported anymore (the code can be compiled with the Visual
Studio compiler, though, provided it is a decent version). But writing nmake
files by hand isn't that hard (it is Visual Studio that generates
incredibly braindead
ones, when you generate makefiles from a project). AFAIK, just use CRLF line
terminators, replace a few of the convenience variables (like "$@", but nmake
might actually support this) and such things.

But actually you will be far better off getting a binary for GNU make (google
for mingw32 or UnxUtils). With the proper variable settings (C
compiler, compiler
and linker options, etc.) you should be able to use one of the makefiles, likely
with some hacking, depending on whether you have a couple of UNIX tools
at your hand.