Re: [Chicken-users] stable version?

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] stable version?
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 07:47:35 +0200

On 9/21/07, Dan Muresan <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I don't understand why cmake was dropped.  Was it hard to maintain
>
> But more importantly, Chicken used to be build-able with MSVC before
> cmake, IIRC. What happened to that?

MSVC support is gone. The Microsoft compilers are not particularly
robust (in particular there have been problems with VC 7.0 Express,
IIRC). Maintaining the build for the inadequate and hard to automate
tools provided by M$ was something that I considered not worth the
weffort. Also because it would require keeping up to date
with proprietary development software. Mingw works quite well, has the
better compiler (in terms of maintenance and quality, IMHO), is open
source and allows cross-compiling.