Re: [Chicken-users] Choosing a programming language for a web project

From: Matthew Welland
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Choosing a programming language for a web project
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 18:56:46 -0700

I have a small data point to add to this thread....

I just went though a similar process of evaluating what to do for web
development. In my case I have a site I put together using Ruby/IOWA where
I had run into some serious road blocks and was not making any progress. I
then spent far too much time trying to rewrite the site in Ruby on Rails.
Sitting there frustrated one day on vacation in Mexico I suddenly decided
to take a leap of faith and I took a stab at using chicken + cgi to write a
framework of sorts and started translating my site. That was the best thing
I could have done. I'm now progressing rapidly in migrating my site away
from Ruby/IOWA and performance under CGI is competitive with IOWA and much
better than "out of the box" Rails.

From working with Rails I got used to the MVC and DRY principles and used
them in putting together my mini-framework. The core of the framework is
compiled and the pages, models and controllers are interpreted. The one
annoyance to this for which I do not have a satisfactory solution is that
with chicken you cannot load files with new class definitions into a
running compile executable (at least not with tiny-clos). I'm have
experimented with aproximating objects using vanilla scheme which works ok
but I have been supprised by how much I miss using inheritance. I may
resort to compiling the models to .so files which I think would allow me to
use tiny-clos but then I give up some of the "edit on the fly" nature of
the scripted portion of the site.

Anyhow, my purpose in writing this is that for me the decision to switch to
chicken was wonderful. For my simple site chicken has everything I need as
an egg. The various frameworks are attractive (maybe seductive?) but when
push comes to shove getting down to the metal really seems to work. At
least it has worked (so far) for me.

I hope this helps.

Matt
--