Re: [Chicken-users] the effect of set! on the top-level namespace

From: Shawn Rutledge
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] the effect of set! on the top-level namespace
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 11:25:41 -0700

On 10/15/07, Tobia Conforto <address@hidden> wrote:

> Yes, set! is the preferred operator for changing the value of an
> existing variable.  I believe using define with an existing variable
> name is not good practice.

Does anybody know of an existing pattern for treating a variable like
a stack?  So you could "push" a new definition and then "pop" it later
to get the old one back again?  (Obviously I could write something
like that... just wondered if there is a really clever mechanism
already.)  Let-binding has this effect (if you re-define a top-level
variable inside a let statement) but I mean at the top level.