[Chicken-users] srfi-27 - producing pseudo and truly random numbers over

From: Terrence Brannon
Subject: [Chicken-users] srfi-27 - producing pseudo and truly random numbers over a uniform distribution
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 17:55:06 -0400

In addition to the bug I filed on this egg - http://trac.callcc.org/ticket/346

I have a question about common usage of this module.

I would like to produce one function, roll-fixed, which produces
pseudorandom numbers in the documented fashion of random-real and
random in SRFI-27. Such that the sequence of randoms (over a uniform
distribution) is predictable on each new startup of the intepreter:

(define *fixed-seed* (expt 7 5))

(define roll-fixed
  (let ([side-effect (set-seed *fixed-seed*)])
     (lambda (n)
        (if (zero? n)
            (random-real-based-on-fixed-seed)
            (random-integer-based-on-fixed-seed n)))))

Additionally, I would like a function, roll-truly-random, which again
can produce reals or integer randoms, but whose sequence of randoms
(over a uniform distribution) is different across each new startup of
the interpreter.

(define roll-truly-random
  (let ([side-effect (set-seed (truly-random-seed))])
     (lambda (n)
        (if (zero? n)
            (random-real-based-on-truly-random-seed)
            (random-integer-based-on-truly-random-seed n)))))

I'm sorry to beg for such hand-holding, but it seems like the Issues
section of the docs does admit that this library could use a few good
examples. It also mentions that the API creates something of a hurdle
for my desire to have two distinct random structures available in two
distinct functions.