Re: [Chicken-users] daemonize egg: redirect I/O?

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] daemonize egg: redirect I/O?
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 12:32:24 +0100

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 12:09:27PM +0100, felix winkelmann wrote:
> On 10/31/07, Peter Bex <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > Well, so be it.  I'll add a note to 'extensions to the standard' and the
> > documentation of 'exit' because I'm sure there are more people out there
> > who are not aware of this.
>
> This has nothing to do with the standard. "exit" is not a standard procedure.

I understand that, but as I said before it is possible to read the standard
in such a way that there is no possibility to ever execute a thunk without
also executing the 'after' part.  So the nonstandard 'exit' procedure
interacts with the standard dynamic-wind procedure in a way that may or
may not be expected depending on how you read the standard.

> Adding a note to the actual "exit" documentation is of course fine. Note that
> this is a highly subjective matter, and just because you think it is natural
> to do X, it doesn't necessarily have to be so for others.

Absolutely.  The key word is 'necessarily'.  It may or it may not be expected.
It is important to make the documentation crystal clear so that there will be
no misundertandings.  For people who understand it the way you do (as opposed
to the way I do), the extra note will just a be a bit of additional clutter
they can skip over when reading it.

Cheers,
Peter
--