Re: [Chicken-users] Statically linkable eggs request

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Statically linkable eggs request
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 08:21:04 +0100

On Nov 20, 2007 8:13 AM, Peter Wright <address@hidden> wrote:

> As far as I'd always understood, ranlib shouldn't be run on plain .o
> object files at all - it should be used on libblah.a archives.
>
> I've hardly ever used it though, I don't know if it's actually
> necessary... Oh, I see now (from the GNU ranlib manpage):
>
>   The GNU ranlib program is another form of GNU ar; running ranlib is
>   completely equivalent to executing ar -s.
>
> So it's probably appropriate for static libraries on non-GNU-binutils
> platforms (and the Mac OS X binutils are FreeBSD-style, right?) - but
> in any case shouldn't be used on .o files.

Here:

  3241      felix                          (unless *windows-shell*
  5220      felix                            (run (chmod a+r ,to)))
  2798      felix                          (and-let* ((static (assq 'static
info)))
  2798      felix                            (when (and (eq? (software-version)
'macosx)
  3839      felix                                       (equal? (cadr static)
from)
  3839      felix                                       (equal?
(pathname-extension to) "a"))   <--- there
  2798      felix                              (run (ranlib ,to)) ) )
  2488      felix                          (make-dest-pathname rpath f)))
  1063      felix                      files) ) )

Can we please drop this subject?