[Chicken-users] Postscript: (Reading binary files)

From: Siegfried Gonzi
Subject: [Chicken-users] Postscript: (Reading binary files)
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 11:53:32 +0100

As and addendum: the content of the binary file is in real*8 Fortran
double-floating point precisions.

Btw: the files and 3d arrays are huge (around 56 MB). So the method should be
effeicient to read them.

Thanks, Siegfried
-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 11:41:27 +0100
Von: "Siegfried Gonzi" <address@hidden>
An: address@hidden
Betreff: Reading binary files

Hello:

[posted it also on Gambit list because I am shopping for new Scheme because I
cannot install Bigloo on Mac OSX Leopard]

Is there an easy way in Chicken to read binary files? I have got binary files
created on my desktop Linux machine with the help of IDL. The binary files are
created in Fortran 77 binary format and BIG_ENDIAN mode (IDL has such a
feature). I read the files from a data base with IDL and store it in big_endian
Fortran 77.

I'd like to read it on my Macintosh. However, the gdl clone of idl has some
problems with that particular files (I scp it from my desktop machine).

The first 3 numbers in the file are Fortran integer numbers which describe the
3d dimension of the array and the following numbers in the binary file are the
content of the array.

Or do I need a C-binding?

Thanks very much,
Siegfried Gonzi