Re: [Chicken-users] Installing Octave Egg

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Installing Octave Egg
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 07:28:23 +0100

On Dec 18, 2007 10:22 PM, Siegfried Gonzi <address@hidden> wrote:
> hello: sorry for this basic question: I want to install egg Octave.
>
> chicken-setup octave
>
> downloads and creates cotave.egg and octave.egg-dir.

I assume it builds and installs the egg ok? (test with
chicken-setup -l).

> However, when doing this:
>
> ==
> (octave:start)
> (octave:plot '(1 2 3) '(3 2 1))
> ==
>
> I get a segmentation fault. The octave egg readme is not very helpful. I do
> not understand if I must set somehow a path variable or linking octave.egg?

Do you interpret it, or compile it? With what compilation options?

> Btw: I am still looking for an answer if there is a trick or compiler option
> to tell Chicken to check my syntax before complaining at runtime. Sorry for
> this but this was nowhere a problem under Bigloo at least for me. I never had
> thought that other Schemes will complain at runtime first.

Invalid lexical syntax can be caught, but the compiler can not always
infer the semantic meaning of a compiled s-expression. Can you give
an example of invalid syntax that should be caught?