Re: [Chicken-users] Friendlier Chicken for Win32

From: Shawn Rutledge
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Friendlier Chicken for Win32
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 10:22:02 -0700

On Dec 20, 2007 7:49 AM, Alex Sandro Queiroz e Silva <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I have cygwin installed.  If I compile a "hello world" from a DOS
> > prompt, the result doesn't produce output:
>
>      That's weird. Do you have Mingw as well as Cygwin? If not, maybe

No.

> the Cygwin runtime has problems outputting to Windows command prompts.

Usually stdout doesn't seem to work with Windows programs.  E.g. if
you follow the usual wizard process to create a new Windows GUI
program in MS Visual Studio, and then decide you'd like to use printf
to do some debugging, it doesn't work without redirecting stdout
somewhere useful (either to the window from which you run it, or have
the app create its own logging window and redirect there).  OS/2 used
to be the same way.  I don't understand why they did that, but it's
probably not a bug.  But maybe mingw does this extra work for you
(redirects output so that stdout will be functional already).