Re: [Chicken-users] libchicken universal?

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] libchicken universal?
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 21:04:38 +0100

On Jan 16, 2008 12:26 AM, Zbigniew <address@hidden> wrote:
> No one has actually tried it to my knowledge, but you could try
> building two copies (one PPC, one Intel) and then using `lipo -create`
> to fuse the copies of each library together.  The easiest way would be
> to build on a native i386 and a native PPC machine, but if unavailable
> I think you could manually do it.  For example, to build PPC on Intel,
> add '-arch ppc' to the gcc flags, and pass ARCH=ppc.darwin to the
> Makefile.
>
> Or you could just try adding the "-arch i386 -arch ppc" flag to gcc.
> Unfortunately the latter will undoubtedly barf on the apply hack, so
> you'll have to disable it.
>
> In short, you're on untrodden ground.  I'm pretty sure it would be
> doable, but would require some elbow grease.

Nothing to be added here. Universal binaries would be nice, but I
find the Apple docs confusing and haven't done this before.
Probably building chicken twice with the proper -isysroot and
-march options and then lipo'ing them together might work, but
will need a Mac expert and some time.

Any takers?