Re: [Chicken-users] repository branching

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] repository branching
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 15:40:42 +0100

On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 03:41:31PM +0900, Ivan Raikov wrote:

>   Am I the only one who finds this scheme (ha!) confusing?

I think it's confusing, too.  Mostly because it's very
counter-intuitive to have both a toplevel dir and a lower 'release'
dir.  Why not just put the old stuff in release/pre-3 or something
like it?

Then we would have a toplevel dir that looks like this:

/chicken-eggs  (bad name, but ok)
  wiki
  chicken
    trunk
    branches
    tags
  release
    pre-3
      foo egg's dir
    3
      foo egg's dir
      bar egg's dir (only for 3 and up)
    4
      foo egg's dir
      bar egg's dir
      qux egg's dir (only for 4 and up)
    ..

Whenever a new release is made, all eggs from the previous release should
get copied to the new dir.  This way toplevel isn't a mixed mess of chicken,
eggs, wiki and other stuff.

> Is it
> possible to use some Subversion trick so that a commit to a top-level
> egg directory automatically does copy/commit in the latest release
> branch also?  This will really help absent-minded people like myself
> to make sure that new egg releases are committed to the current
> Chicken release branch.

It's better to just be more explicit.  Create the eggdir under the latest
release branch and work there.  If you want to backport, copy it over to
a previous release dir.  After that, merge changes to the old release dir.

Cheers,
Peter
--
http://sjamaan.ath.cx