[Chicken-users] Re: [Chicken-hackers] time->string

From: Kon Lovett
Subject: [Chicken-users] Re: [Chicken-hackers] time->string
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 08:08:25 -0800

On Jan 19, 2008, at 12:43 PM, John Cowan wrote:

Zbigniew scripsit:
On Jan 19, 2008 12:59 PM, John Cowan <address@hidden> wrote:

Instead, I suggest making time->string return an ISO 8601 time string of
the form "yyyy-mm-ddThh:mm:ss+zzzz"

Well, ISO 8601 time strings are already available in SRFI-19, and
they're not particularly readable.

I realize that.  The point is, if you want a function that reduces
a broken-out time object to a string, what string should you get?
The asctime(3) string strikes me as a particularly silly format.

Alternatively, you could just deprecate time->string.

(string-append
 (time->string (seconds->local-time (current-seconds)))
 " " (local-timezone-abbreviation))

It's called "local" but it's not localized.

Please elaborate. The 'localtime(...)->tm_zone' or 'tzname[...]' is used, depending on platform, so assuming the POSIX locale is correct the abbreviation should be correct. (Daylight Saving Time is an issue on some platforms, such as MacOS 10.4 & earlier.)

--
Even a refrigerator can conform to the XML      John Cowan
Infoset, as long as it has a door sticker       address@hidden