Re: [Chicken-users] chicken-hosted stalin

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] chicken-hosted stalin
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 10:43:27 -0500

felix winkelmann scripsit:

> chicken-stalin can be built on systems that are too weak to build
> the regular stalin, it also runs probably on more platforms.
> I think this is useful. Due to the reduced turnaround times and the much
> richer runtime environment, one can actually debug and enhance
> the system (much more so as the original one).

Fair enough.  I'm still not clear on whether it is actually slower or faster,
though, or perhaps slower in general but faster when compiling Stalin, or what.

> You have to see for yourself whether you find it useful. It is possible
> to mix chicken and stalin code, so one could conceive trying to get the
> best of both worlds (partially fast code and partically using a rich
> and dynamic runtime environment).
>
> Adding macros and more compiler language support could be done, though.
> So this is a start.

Also fair enough.

--
John Cowan   address@hidden  http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Most languages are dramatically underdescribed, and at least one is