Re: [Chicken-users] critical-section not in Chicken 3?

From: Elf
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] critical-section not in Chicken 3?
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 12:51:13 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008, Tobia Conforto wrote:

<snip>
A bold statement, but I kind of agree. Except maybe for when you seek to simulate many random, unpredictable, asynchronous processes, threads are just a quick hack. A hand-crafted, event-based solution is usually more efficient, easier to get right and much easier to debug.

If you lack the needed OS primitives (select, non-blocking I/O, etc.) or if you need to cope with a bad OS, then threads might be the only way to go, but those are cases that call for ugly hacks anyway.

What is it you couldn't do in the raw-sockets egg without threads?

because there is the possibility of multiple raw sockets with reading and writing synchronisation issues and the need for Very High (TM) throughput. i will upload the changed code to the repo for your inspection. suffice it to say that we tried every means both bk2 and i could think of and this was the only solution that worked for this problem domain.

-elf