[Chicken-users] Comprehensive documentation rewrite

From: Tobia Conforto
Subject: [Chicken-users] Comprehensive documentation rewrite
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 18:13:56 +0100

Mario Domenech Goulart wrote:
From a known format, we can convert the wiki documentation to whatever format we need and even have an interactive documentation system. The current problem with the wiki documentation is that we don't have semantic markup.

This is a good time to talk about a similar idea I've been having for a while.

My idea is to devise a "smart" document format, preferably s-expr based (maybe SSAX-based if nothing better comes to mind) and convert every piece of Chicken API documentation to that format: both for eggs and for the base system. This includes any relevant SRFIs that are part of Chicken or of some eggs.

It's quite a lot of text, but it shouldn't be too hard, if you're armed with a good text editor and regexes.

This should make it relatively easy to generate any kind of documentation from a single, versioned source tree: - static, heavy-hyperlinked html with full indexes by symbol, by permuted symbol, by topic (tags), by egg...
- dynamic html documentation, aka. API search engine on the site
- texi (or whatever it is... I'm a Vim user so I wouldn't know :-)

I'm ready to start working on this, if we agree it's a good thing, and after we've discussed the s-expr file format. I'm still just a Chicken user (not a hacker) but this job is certainly within my reach!

Tobia