Re: [Chicken-users] egg documentation

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] egg documentation
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 22:46:54 -0500

Ivan Raikov scripsit:

>   There is no such thing as a "standard library" for Scheme, other
> than what is defined in the R5RS standard.

True for R5RS Scheme.  But for Chicken in particular, the "units" are
de facto a standard library, since the compiler relies on much of them.
Right now all the eggs are effectively second-class as a consequence of
the way they are packaged, but some of them, like syntax-case and numbers,
are actually necessary to get R5RS support, so it's kind of arbitrary.

I'd rather see units and eggs treated as on a par, and the distinction
drawn between community-supported, author-supported, and unsupported
packages.

--
Is a chair finely made tragic or comic? Is the          John Cowan
portrait of Mona Lisa good if I desire to see           address@hidden