Re: [Chicken-users] Comprehensive documentation rewrite

From: Elf
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Comprehensive documentation rewrite
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 19:33:09 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008, Ivan Raikov wrote:

 Then I don't understand what you mean by the peculiar phrase
"currently maintained". There are many eggs in the Chicken repository
that work perfectly fine and are not BSD licensed. If one of those is
discovered to have become broken because of changes in the core
Chicken functionality, then it will probably be fixed, maybe by the
original author, maybe by someone who is familiar with Chicken, or
maybe by a user interested in using that egg.

ah.  all that was meant by 'currently maintained' is that they were created
specifically for chicken and have new releases or enhancements periodically.
i was merely intending to distinguish the active chicken codebase from artifacts ported over from PLT etc. (not to impugn them or their value
in any way, just to mark generations, so to speak.)  this is why i referenced
you as the exception, since you actively release new original eggs with GPL.
it was not intended in any sort of derogatory or critical way.

  Saying that most "currently maintained" eggs are BSD licensed
sounds as if the Chicken project officially only supports BSD eggs,
and that's not the case at all -- for instance, I will happily work on
fixing bugs in any egg in the Chicken repository, except for the ones
marked obsolete. If that is not is the meaning you intended, then what
is the meaning of this "currently maintained" construct?

i was not, in any way, shape, form, or manner, trying to suggest or imply any form of policy, theory of use, desirable state, restriction, set of
actions, preferences, goals, or any matter relating to chicken's development,
developers, or users.  i was only trying to offer assistance to a specific
question on how to find licence versions. my apologies if this was not the perception.

-elf