Re: [Chicken-users] Idea feedback

From: Ivan Raikov
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Idea feedback
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 09:29:22 +0900

  So you are proposing to implement the D-Bus protocol in Scheme
directly, instead of writing a Scheme wrapper for a C library that can
talk D-Bus? In general, I would say this makes sense only if you need
to send and receive complicated Scheme objects over the D-Bus
link. For example, the mpi egg is a simple wrapper around the OpenMPI
C library, because I only needed to send/receive homogeneous numeric
vectors, and those are well supported by the Chicken FFI. But if I
needed to send/receive Scheme closures (for example), then I would
either have to use the s11n module and serialize the closures to
bytevectors, which is not very efficient, or invent some fancy Scheme
communication protocol that allows me to send and receive such
objects.

   From your description, it is not entirely clear what those
s-expressions contain -- whether it is "simple" data, such as numbers
and strings, that can easily be represented in C, or whether it is
some complex structured data that S-expressions are best at
representing. If the former, you might save some time by writing an
FFI wrapper. If the latter, then a Scheme implementation might be
better (and way cooler :-).

   -Ivan