Re: [Chicken-users] Bug in SRFI-13 lib?

From: Kon Lovett
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Bug in SRFI-13 lib?
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 16:06:16 -0800

On Feb 16, 2008, at 3:51 PM, Matt Gushee wrote:

Elf wrote:
string= != string=?

Well, okay, as far as that goes. Maybe I should have mentioned that I am more-or-less a newbie ... this is my 2nd or 3rd time learning Scheme, so I know a few things, but my vocabulary and knowledge of which functions are where are quite limited, e.g., I had forgotten that string=? existed. Nonetheless, I do read documentation, and SRFI-13 says:

  string=  s1 s2 [start1 end1 start2 end2] -> boolean

So I am curious why the Chicken implementation returns an integer.

Scheme treats any value (not (eq? value #f)) as #t so 5 is #t for the purposes of truth testing. SRFI-13 'string=' has extra meaning vs. 'string=?'.

--
Matt Gushee
: Bantam - lightweight file manager : matt.gushee.net/software/ bantam/ : : RASCL's A Simple Configuration Language : matt.gushee.net/ rascl/ :