Re: [Chicken-users] Debian packages for some eggs now available

From: Leonardo Valeri Manera
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Debian packages for some eggs now available
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:27:12 +0100

On 18/02/2008, Harri Haataja <address@hidden> wrote:
> It's been a while since I was last involved with rpm, but even then it
> was certainly worth it making different spec files (and/or taking care
> you don't use the wrong ones). It's not just the dependencies and
> paths (which obviously matter) but there's also different sets of spec
> macros and other things. They aren't really hard to write, though.

*nod... in that sense at least, packaging for gentoo is easier.

At least here, all our installation directories and prefix paths and
all that jazz are env_var based, meaning once I've got this up and
running all gentoo-based distros can use the exact same egg ebuilds,
regardless of their filesystem structure, and we'll be able to
generate new ebuilds with a very simple script - much simpler than the
debian-generator: it'll only need to extract the egg's description and
dependencies, and write these to a text file with a little sh
wrapping.

Of course, we also have to deal with trying to support compilation on
a mind-boggling variety of toolchain configurations; luckily we can
make the assumption that if chicken compiled, the problem is either
upstream or on the users machine.
Libraries that aren't compiled via something like chicken-setup do not
award us this luxury.

Thankfully, I'm standing on the shoulders of giants here :)

Cheers,
Leo