Re: [Chicken-users] Re: YADT: yet another documentation thread

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Re: YADT: yet another documentation thread
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 19:45:26 +0100

On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 05:03:47PM -0500, Graham Fawcett wrote:
> The CL community has a "My Road to Lisp" meme, where CL users write up a
> quick story on how they "arrived". I'd *love* to hear people's My Road to
> Chicken stories.

A little painful to admit, but I started out with BASIC on the C64, then got
a PC with QBASIC/QuickBASIC, then my first "real" language: C.  I stuck with
C for a long long time until I learned Scheme at university.  That was love
at first sight and I've been using it ever since :)  PLT first, then a little
bit of s48 and then Chicken.

At work I do a bit of Javascript programming (which is very Schemey), but
mostly in Ruby which I absolutely hate, as the #chicken crowd knows all too
well from my many rants about it :) (BTW, if nobody else is interested I'd
be happy to try my hand at a Ruby->Chicken tutorial).
Because of the many problems with Ruby, we're going to switch back to PHP...
Of course my secret plan is to sneak in Chicken as soon as I find an
opportunity to do so!

Cheers,
Peter
--