Re: [Chicken-users] Debian packages for some eggs now available

From: Ivan Raikov
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Debian packages for some eggs now available
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 09:10:47 +0900

  Well, my experience with RPM is also a bit dated, and it was limited
to translating custom Debian kernel packages to RedHat and Mandrake
RPMs. In my case, it worked well because all three distributions used
the same script to update the kernel image installation, and of course
the kernel has no library dependencies, other than modutils, so the
generated RPMs seemed to install and work fine. I did this also in
part because the RPM distros did not have an equivalent of Debian
kernel-package scripts, which allow you to add your own patches to the
Debian kernel and create kernel packages out of that.

  Chicken also has no dependencies other than libc, so I am guessing
such a conversion would be relatively uncomplicated. I agree that the
proper way to do this would be to write an RPM .spec file, but I don't
use RPM distros, so I have little motivation. If somebody writes the
.spec file, I will be happy to install RedHat in a virtual image and
test the RPMs, though.

   -Ivan