Re: [Chicken-users] My language trajectory

From: Matthew Welland
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] My language trajectory
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 22:57:23 -0700

Interesting thread. I keep doing loops that take me away from scheme and
eventually I come back. Now, in part thanks to Chicken, I'm back to stay.

Basic, Fortran
Lisp (Autocad)
HP Basic, Pascal (IC test stuff)
Scheme (College, scoops and PC Scheme)
Pascal, C, Assembly (College)
Scheme (STk)
Awk/Sed/Sh and finally Perl, lots and lots of Perl
Scheme
Python (learned but did not use)
Ruby
C (Microcontrollers)
Scheme

I think this posting says it quite well but things are a bit better in the
scheme world than when it was written IMHO.

http://www.sarg.ryerson.ca/~dmason/common/scheme-paean.html

For us learners the best thing the gurus can do in my opinion is to put a
hierarchy of snippets doing lots of things from simple (even obvious) to
complex on the Wiki.

I suggest breaking the snippets into four sections:

beginner
intermediate
advance
refugees
   [ section has idioms from other languages and an equivalent in scheme ]

I'll happily contribute to the beginner and maybe intermediate sections.
BTW, I'd love it if an expert couple put a handful of examples that
illustrate what cut and cute do. I still don't get it and the frustrating
part is I suspect it will be obvious when I do :)

Matt