Re: [Chicken-users] MSVC makefile (was Errors building eggs in mingw/msy

From: Ashley
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] MSVC makefile (was Errors building eggs in mingw/msys)
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 16:51:20 -0500

John Cowan wrote:
Ashley scripsit:

Actually, the problem turned out to be my misunderstanding of the
intent of the mingw-msys makefile.  I assumed it was similar to
the cygwin build, but I realize now that doesn't make much sense
as mingw uses the microsoft runtime.  So things like chicken-setup,
which ultimately call system(), need paths windows can understand.
I was using it as if /home referenced the root of the file system,
when in fact it sits at c:\msys\1.0\home.

Do remember though that the Windows kernel is perfectly happy with /
rather than \, which makes things much simpler.  CMD insists on \;
I don't know about MSVC makefiles.
Yeah, the problem in the case above wasn't the use of / or \, it was simply the fact that "home" in the msys shell (and in my mind at the time) sat at /, while Windows saw it (correctly) as residing in c:/msys/1.0. The "slash" issue has caused an issue w/ the MSVC build I'm working on, though, because chicken-setup calls "del" to remove most files during an uninstall, and del chokes on / even when the path is quoted. On the other hand, (delete-file* ...) is called to remove the .setup-info file, which works because as you say the windows runtime handles / just fine.

The makefile I'm working on is a gnu makefile, and is integrated with the normal build system for chicken. You'll need cygwin or some other posix-like environment to do the actual build, but you can run all the tools in plain cmd.exe once done. At
least the tools I've tested so far.

ashley