Re: [Chicken-users] egg documentation

From: Jim Ursetto
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] egg documentation
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 02:28:18 -0600

On 2/21/08, Alejandro Forero Cuervo <address@hidden> wrote:
> I think we should stick to <proc>, <macro> and so on. They are easier
> to type than <def type="proc">, <def type="macro"> and so on.

I agree.

> What if instead of <signature type="string"> and <def type="string">
> we simply use <string>? Would that work?

Functionally yes, but I can only think of one person who has ever
used 'string' in an egg: myself.  In my opinion, the <def> tag
should be there for really unusual cases such as that, since
we can't think of every type of definition.

Check out the sqlite3-tinyclos doc for another example; Thomas thought up
'class' and 'method', which were not in eggdoc.  (The 'signature' type was put
in eggdoc for just that case.)

I still think <def> is useful for unusual or unimplemented definitions, unless
you really want to restrict people to a few major definition types (or update
svnwiki every time someone thinks of a new one).