Re: [Chicken-users] egg documentation

From: Tobia Conforto
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] egg documentation
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 14:58:51 +0100

Alejandro Forero Cuervo wrote:
I think it would be overkill if we did it on a procedure-by- procedure basis. It would make editing a bit cumbersome for what it gets us, I think.

I don't know, I think that a topic system with egg granularity wouldn't be of much use. We already have egg categories for that.

To tell the truth, I'm not convinced myself anymore that this is the way to go.

What about a search box that would search among the definitions? Meaning both in the procedure name (symbol) itself, in its lambda list, and in the description. And then would display a result page listing matching definitions (not entire pages!) Something similar to callcc.org in spirit. Would that be doable? I think it would do away with the need to tag every definition with topics.

I'm thinking mostly of this use case: a novice user needs to join a list of strings (as in string-intersperse, but he doens't know it's called like that), or maybe render a unix timestamp into a string, and doesn't have a clue where in the whole world of Chicken such procedures reside.

In this use case callcc.org would only be useful in part, because it only searches in the procedure name. The wiki search wouldn't help much either, because the signal to noise ratio is so high (as it matches entire pages.)

What do you think?

Tobia